On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Bill Haught <wlhaughtpr...@att.net> wrote:

>>>The readme says "bootable USB key"  I assume they mean a DOS one.
>>> Especially due to licensing issues making one that
>>>boots Windows is a *REAL* project.l
>
> Or maybe not.  Apparently with Vista and 7 it is easy to copy the
> Installation disk to a USB flash drive judging from what I just found
> searching the Net.

Or maybe so.

Note that says "installation disk".  That means you can potentially
start an install of Vista/7 from a USB drive.  It does not mean you
can create a portable Windows installation that will *run* from a
thumbdrive.

It's the last thing MS would want: Windows is licensed per machine.
Install it to a drive, then move that drive to a different machine,
and Windows will recognize it's in a new environment and want to be
re-authenticated.

If you want an OS that will boot and run from a USB drive, you
probably use Linux.

Incidentally, why do you need to flash the BIOS on the WD drive?

If the drive is performing as expected, it might not be necessary.
Does the BIOS update provide something you have to have?
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519