Marcos Favero Florence de Barros composed on 2014-12-14 10:26 (UTC-0200):

> I was wondering whether one of the reasons why old computers
> fail is that the BIOS gets corrupted over time because it is
> stored in rewritable media.

> Many of the old computers that I'v tried to reuse seem to have
> problems in keyboard, floppy and CD operation, which, I believe,
> are directly related to the BIOS.

Might depend on how old is "old". A huge number of motherboards and power
supplies made starting shortly after the turn of the century and for the
following half decade or so were made using capacitors that don't last[1].
Before total failure occurs, all kinds of wierd things can happen or not as
their defects begin manifesting.

> If that is so, then perhaps flashing the BIOS might fix this
> kind of problem.

Unlikely, but possibly.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/