Hi again,

> http://www.georgpotthast.de/dossound/

Thanks, interesting :-)

>     For the Dell sound, its a chip soldered on the main board.

You could check with PCISLEEP for DOS or LSPCI for Linux or any
similar tool for Windows what chip it is. The DOSSOUND website
says, it is a WAV player for some AC97 sound chips, so I guess

I remember that I have a small tool for some VIA mainboard chip
which claims to support SoundBlaster: The tool just activates
that mode. However, only the official DOS driver also has some
software simulation of Adlib / OPL3 which you can load as TSR.
By using the activation tool, you only get basic SB D/A output.

> DOSSound currently supports the following AC'97 controllers:
>
>         Intel ICH-ICH7 and compatible (not ICH8-ICH10)
>         VIA 82686, 8233, 8235 and 8237
>         SIS 7012 controller
>
>         untested:
>         AMD 768, 8111
>         nVidia NForce 1-3
>
> High Definition Audio controllers are currently not supported.

By the way:

>     I think it works like these stupid win printers; it waits for
>     windows to start it up. After all dos is dead isn't it - ha.
>     I will have to search for this dossound. It might be the answer.

That is not the only problem. Winmodems and Win GDI printers etc.
often do not support "normal" command languages. Instead, there
is only a proprietary interface to some low level device. In the
Winmodem case, this is often a simple "soundcard". All the smart
things to turn data into tones and back have to be done by some
Windows (or Linux) driver, so just starting Windows is not enough
to "activate" the modem for DOS. For printers, your mileage may
vary - they may at least support plain text but that might indeed
depend on some Windows driver "activating" the printer at boot.

Regards, Eric