I experimented with JEMMEX settings, but unfortunately even

DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE X=A000-FFFF NOHI NOVME NOINVLPG

in FDCONFIG.SYS leads to a crash of the FreeDOS 1.1 guest in a Windows 8 host.
On my Mac there’s no such problem.

The JEMMEX documentation says about the settings above:

"This is the safest combination. If this doesn't work, Jemm most likely isn't
compatible with the current DOS/BIOS.“

VirtualBox is the newest version 5.0.14.

For my VirtualBox image with network ("FreeDOS 1.1net") I created a new
version, which uses the old HIMEM.EXE and EMM386.EXE couple from FreeDOS 1.0.
They seem to work fine. If anyone wants to try it out:

https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/downloads/vdi/FreeDOS1.1net-test.zip

<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/downloads/vdi/FreeDOS1.1net-test.zip>

Installation is explained here:
https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/downloads/vdi/FreeDOS1.1net-test.zip>

Not using UMBs at all isn’t such a good idea. With HIMEM.EXE and EMM386.EXE I
get 509K free conventional memory after loading all the drivers for MS Client
and TCP/IP. Without UMBs I loose another 59K so I think some programs wouldn’t
even start.

Thanks!
Ulrich