With the default installation of FreeDOS 1.1 on real hardware (Pentium
II @ 300 MHz, 48 MB, ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP video with 4 MB), I find that
the mouse pointer in Edit with a file open is almost invisible.   There
are partial-image flashes of the expected brown rectangle.  But if I
open a menu, then there is a nice solid brown rectangle while the menu
is open.

In the FreeDOS Help system, the pointer is a nice solid gray.

I got the same results with 2 LCD monitors and also a CRT.

I don't have anything additional installed on this system yet so I don't
know what the behavior will be in other programs.

The mouse pointer has never been pretty in Edit -- it's usually flashing
but fully visible -- but I have never seen it virtually invisible like
this.  Initially I thought there was no pointer until I stepped through
the Autoexec.bat startup and confirmed that MOUSE does indeed run
successfully, after which I looked harder and saw the visual traces of
the pointer in Edit.

Does anyone have an explanation or solution?