Hello,

> On Mar 29, 2016, at 1:26 PM, Thomsen Thomsen <thomsen.thom...@mail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello. I managed to create a bootable USB key running FreeDos using Rufus
> (http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/). It
> works well and boots fine. I even managed to move files to the USB key. I
> wanted to install some of the programs from http://www.freedos.org/software/.
> In general I couldn't get this to work. Is there a way to get the "full
> install" on a bootable USB key? I don't have a bunch of experience.

FYI, I just updated FDI to Preview 15. http://up.lod.bz/FDI
It includes may more packages on the USB version.

Switching into advanced mode during the installation provides an
easy way to include these packages on a per/install basis.
You can switch into advanced mode by pressing CTRL+C at the
"Welcome To FreeDOS” screen or at any other time FDI is waiting
for you to pick an option.

The best method to add programs to a custom install stick is to
create a FDI build environment and update the package lists.

However, there is an easy way to add stuff to your own “ALL” install.

1) Place the new packages in the appropriate directory:

        FDSETUP\PACKAGES\BASE
        FDSETUP\PACKAGES\UTIL
        ….

2) Add the package to the proper list on the install media:

        FDSETUP\SETUP\FDPLBASE.LST
        FDSETUP\SETUP\FDPLALL.LST

3) your done. But, you may want its information to show
up in FDIMPLES. So you will need to place a copy of
the package LSM file in the FDSETUP\PKGINFO directory
as a TXT file. You could use

FDIMPLES /LISTS to create the package lists. However,
you will need to copy and rename them. FDIMPLES’ list
editing is designed to work with the raw source and FDI
build environments and will require a little extra work
to use on a pre-built usb image.

Sometime in the hopefully near future, I want to create a couple
YouTube videos on using FDI to build custom releases and
FreeDOS based operating systems.

So, if you have a package for a utility called MYTHING.ZIP

        add it to:

        FDSETUP\PACKAGES\UTIL

        Add util\mything to both or either:

        FDSETUP\SETUP\FDPLBASE.LST
        FDSETUP\SETUP\FDPLALL.LST

If you wish to create a custom package from scratch,
study one of the simple packages that ship with FDI.
You will need to mimic the directory structor in the
zip archive. Also, you will need to create a custom
LSM (package information file) in the APPINFO\
directory.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks, Jerome.