Hello Mateusz and All,

> *** freezing ***
> After my C: drive being partitioned, the installer restarted and
> formatted the drive. Then, it displayed a message "Gathering some
> information to prepare for the installation."
> note 1: the message should end with 3 dots "installation...", since it's
> something "in progress"
> note 2: my installation stopped there, since this screen never went
> away. tested on VirtualBox with 8M of RAM and a 256M virtual drive. I
> used all_cd.iso for the installation ("FreeDOS 1.2-pre15"), with the FDI
> bootdisk downloaded from your website.

Freezing: I have Good news and Bad news.

First the Good news,

While running down this issue, I made a little streaming in FDI moving the
MEDIA detection routings out of STAGE700 (The prompting questions STAGE)
into STAGE600 (was unused as reserved). Makes it a little easier to follow
what is going on if reading through the batch sources.

Second, this led me to creating a CD iso version. So, I could run down the
issue without saying hey Mateusz try this. now this. now this. now this…...

Third, I was able to pinpoint exactly when the freeze occurred. It was
happening when checking for a files existence on the CD media. This
led me to find a completely unrelated bug in vfdutil that would occur
if bad command line parameters were given to vfdutil.

Also, this issue only occurred in VirtualBox when booting the CD. This
does not occur in VMware. It does not occur when using the USB versions
in either virtual machine. I did not test the CD version with QEMU.

Finally, after spending a couple hours tracking down the exact problem, the
issue
is not a bug in FDI or V8Power Tools. The problem occurs even when FDI is not
run
and if no V8Power Tools are ever used.

Now the bad News,

I don’t know where the bug is located. It could be VirtualBox, FreeDOS kernel,
FreeCOM shell, Himemx, UDVD2, SHSUCDX or possibly the boot disk configuration.
(Note: removing LBACACHE had no effect on the bug.)

This does not just effect FDI it effects other programs as well. For example,
the FreeDOS EDIT program. (Boot ALL_CD image, change to CD drive. Run edit.
System Lockup)

A couple easy tests to replicate issue.

        Create a VM in VirtualBox (with a Hard Drive, other settings like RAM
are unimportant)

        Boot the ALL_CD.iso.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1/repos/all_cd.iso

        Select Language in FDI, then exit to DOS.

        Change to CD drive. (Should be D:)

        Run any of the following:

                edit                            (immediate freeze)

                vfdutil /u D:\test       (in a stripped down config, it will
run once without a lockup)

In summary,

As best as I could determine, this bug occurs when reading the directories on
the
CD ROM. Possibly a FindFirst/Next issue. Once i ruled out FDI and V8, I stopped
tracking down the issue.

Unless the non-FDI issue is resolved, the CD iso will not be able to install
FreeDOS
under VirtualBox. VirtualBox will only be able to use the USB images.

I also tested a completely stripped down startup config that only loaded
HIMEMX,
COMMAND, UDVD2, SHSUCDX and did not load FDI or any V8Power Tool. The
problem still existed.

There may be a VirtualBox specific setting or switch needed for one of those
programs that I don’t know. If not then it is a bug.

Thanks, Jerome