Hi Kai,

> I've been trying for the last two hours or so to find out how to use a
> German keyboard with FreeDOS. There is enough information, but some...

The easiest driver is probably MKEYB:

http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=mkeyb

It does not need extra files and has several popular layouts built-in:

http://help.fdos.org/de/hhstndrd/base/mkeyb.htm

However, if you want more choice, KEYB is indeed an option:

http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=keyb

The KEYB layouts can be found here:

http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=kpdos

Viel Spass! Eric

PS: You can also load European and other special fonts with:

http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=cpidos
http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=display
http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=mode

They give you some additional accented chars like the Euro sign.
BIOS has https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437 already.