I am having exactly the same problem (Invalid Opcode at HIMEMX line) with a
laptop from the same era.  FreeDOS 1.1 installed without problems.  I was
using the 1.2 standard CD.  I plan to try the 1.2 legacy CD tonight to see
if that makes a difference.  (Is there a description of the differences
between the standard and legacy installation CDs somewhere?)

Tony