  Original Message
From: Thomas Mueller
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:19 PM
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Reply To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] boot floppy disk image too big for a dis

from Dennis Fenton:

> After some research I decided FreeDOS would be a good replacement for
> MS-DOS 6.22 on an old 486 I'm playing with.
> I downloaded and burned to CD the iso. I also downloaded the boot
> floppy disk image because the old 486 will not boot from the external
> SCSI CD drive.
> To my dismay I found that the boot disk image is too big to fit on a
> 1.44 floppy.
> This makes me question the decision to switch. How in the world can an
> organization dedicated to promoting this better version of DOS get it
> wrong when it comes to the size of a disk image?
> Do you have a fix for this?

Is this the floppy image?

http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12FLOPPY.zip

I just found it on FreeDOS download page.

But if too big to fit on 1.44 floppy, could you boot the image with grub4dos
(latest and final version is 0.4.4)?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos/

I have booted "floppy" images far too big to fit on actual floppy.

Otherwise, you could possibly use Syslinux (latest version 6.03) with memdisk,
or possibly Grub2.

Tom‎