On 3/23/2017 9:47 PM, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
It is possible to format a floppy a bit over size. Most drives will accommodate 2 to 4 extra tracks. Depending on the drive and the controller it's possible to alter the number of sectors per track, but all tracks must have the same number of sectors. Typically, altering the number of sectors renders the format non-bootable.

Schenk & Horn CopyStar is one such program. It's old, originally from 1994, but it's known to work on Windows 2000, Server 2003 and older. I've not tried it on XP and later. Probably not compatible with 64 bit Windows. http://www.programfiles.com/Default.asp?LinkId=13681

Microsoft used an over-capacity format they called DMF. For programs (like Windows 95) where the first disk had to be bootable it was standard 1.44M.

IBM used a different over-capacity format for OS/2's install disks, but nothing included with OS/2 could write data to the disks, despite the inclusion of a utility to create blank disks with that format. (The largest all floppy install I ever did was OS/2 Warp 3.0, followed by a couple of large updates.)
Sorry, but all that is irrelevant to the problem at hand. He tried to copy an image file, that includes the file system as a single file onto a floppy disk that already contained a file system. He needed to use a program that write that image file sector by sector onto a floppy disk. And that way it will fit perfectly, no overformatting needed...

If only the entire OEM computer industry had wholeheartedly adopted the 2.88M floppy, instead of only IBM and Compaq sorta halfway supporting it. "Hey look! We're making 2.88M floppy drives standard on ALL our computers! How about YOU, Hewlett Packard, Packard Bell, Gateway 2000... *Apple*? You wanna fall behind us? Keep using that obsolete 1.44M!"
The problem with the general adaptation of 2.88MB floppy disks was that those drives did have compatibility issues with reliably reading and more so, WRITING 1.44MB disks...

Ralf

---