from: Jose Antonio Senna
        <jasse...@vivointernetdiscada.com.br>

 Mateus Viste said:
>  You have to make sure tough that both  computers use the exact same
> CHS/LBA/Large addressing schemes to access  the drive.
>  Your 486 probably needs you to enter these by hand anyway, but
>  the newer PC surely uses some hdd autodetection and might be
> tempted to rely on some more modern addressing model that might
>  or might not work out when moved to your 486.

  This is something that came to my mind after I posted my previous message.
  As Mateus Viste said, both computers MUST see  the same HD geometry,
or the target will be unable to boot anything at all.
  If your installing computer can enter setup mode by pressing DEL key
at start, before it tries to boot the O/S, then you may use the setup mode
to check how it views the HDD and afterwards configure the 486 to use
the same configuration (a 486 certainly can enter setup mode). If the
installing computer auto configures the HDD to a geometry not
available in the 486, you may change the geometry by hand to one
acceptable by both machines.

  I assume, from your messages, that you want a dual boot but now
have a blank HD.
  If you already have your PC-?booting DRDOS, then it is better to just copy
the FreeDOS package to the HD, then put it back in the 486 and perform
the installation there. Use the new computer to copy also a boot manager
to the HD, if the FreeDOS distro does not already have one.
 Again, pay attention to the HD geometry in every case you exchange it
between computers.
 The installing computer will probably correctly autodetect the geometry
of a partitioned HD, but it is better to check before any attempt to write
to it, in order to avoid garbling the HD contents.

Regards
JAS

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (1:2320/105.99)

---
 * BgNet 1.0b12 = CCO * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net