From: Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> to reproduce this FIND problem, I tried to setup a new FD1.2 machine.
>
> what I did:
>
> download FD12LGC.ISO
>
> create a new virtual box machine with 512 MB disk
> use FD12LGC.ISO to boot the machine.
> boot machine.
>
> 'Unfortunately, this method of installation is not supported on this
> hardware platform. Please try a different installation method.'
>
> Welcome to the FreeDOS 1.2 operating system.
>
> now what?
> a hint to use the other .ISO would have been be helpful
>
> eventually I figured this out, and setup was successful.

If you read this ...

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/FD12
EADME.md

.... it says this:

"
* Bootable CD-ROM
  * Most virtual machines (including VirtualBox)
  * Most 486 or better computers
* Alternate Legacy CD-ROM
  * Virtual Machines (excluding VirtualBox)
  * Most computers that support CD booting.
"

The main page is somewhat less explicit about VBox compatibility:

http://www.freedos.org/download/

"We recommend the CDROM installer for most users. The 'standard' CDROM
image should work on most computers and PC emulators. Older computers
may need the 'legacy' CDROM image instead."

P.S. VirtualBox 5.1.14 was just released today.

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (1:2320/105.99)

---
 * BgNet 1.0b12 = CCO * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net