Hi!

I tried to find ZANSI.SYS but found that it is nowerdays really hard to get... Finally I found it there:
https://stuff.mit.edu/afs/net/user/tytso/msdos/screen/

So, ZANSI Version 1.2 is from Thomas Hanlin III, who used NANSI 2.2 from Daniel Kegel as a basis. The source code is included. It is from 1987.

I remember that I preferred ZANSI.SYS over NANSI.SYS and all other ANSI drivers, because ZANSI was more light-weight i.e. it used as little RAM as possible while at the same time being the fastest ANSI driver out there (at that time). Sure, not all functions from NANSI are included, but what I was after was the accellerated text output only.

So IF FreeDOS was ment not only for modern systems but also for real retro hardware, I think it may be of interest to also include the option to choose ZANSI over NANSI.

Just my 2ยข.

Cheers,
A.