Hi,

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 1:46 AM, Random Liegh via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I'm surprised [Desmet] isn't included; given it's license, size and it's
> ability
> (taking your word for this as I haven't tried it) to generate 16 bit code
> (which puts it over GCC and on a par with Watcom?).

DJGPP is very good and very standards compliant. Not sure how robust
Desmet is, haven't used it heavily. It seems fairly minimal, though.

It's good to have 16-bit support, but I don't think it matches (or
surpasses) OpenWatcom in any way, besides being small (and running on
8086).

> I've usually wound up giving up on watcom and just installing an old copy of
> borland -with the obvious limits that I'm sure y'all have covered time and
> again.

SmallerC dude (whose compiler is probably on par with Desmet, or
better, despite 386+) said OpenWatcom still had some "scary" bugs. I
was somewhat surprised, but in something that big and complex, it's
probably inevitable. Nevertheless, OpenWatcom is extremely good for
what it does.

The "full" DOS install of OpenWatcom is "only" 45 MB or so (with all
help files, libs, C++, tools, etc) once installed. That can be 7-Zip'd
to 7 MB, and the FDNPKG .ZIP of it is "only" twice that size. So it's
not hard to download, copy, unpack (or install).

I would suggest writing as much "standard" C as you possibly can,
splitting the non-portable stuff to separate .c files.