Jan:

> More universal or newer disk tools may allow you to create multiple
> primary partitions.

Got it! And, by "more universal or newer disk tools", I'm sure I can
include FreeDOS's fdisk in that list, and if that is the case. great! If
not, just let me know :). Thanks Jan!

(for example my own 'DFSee' disk utility)

:P Hey, you got to spread the word somehow, and I can respect that. I'll
give it a look. :)

> However, there is a reason the older (DOS, Win98 etc) do not allow that.
> These older operating systems can not handle multiple visible primary
> partitions,
> they will fail on booting.

I'm guessing that is why the first partition on a hard drive for those OSs
should *always* be the *primary*, *active boot* partition for the given OS.

TJ:

> I'm pretty sure WinXP itself can create multiple primary partitions.

I'm also pretty sure that is true.

> Why not create the first partition (leaving some extra space on the disk)
> with whatever utility you want, install XP, then when XP is up and running
> create a second partition using XP's disk manager?

 Remember (not trying to sound mean), this is meant to be a Win98/XP
dual-boot system, and Win98 *has* to be on the first partition.
I mean, I'm sure I could somehow do it with the Windows XP partition
manager (the one that is loaded upon CD installation), but the manager is,
um, in my experience, very basic and not flexible. Plus, I would still need
to change "active" statuses with another partition manager to do what that
VOGONS member outlined earlier.

If you had XP and 98 each installed on a partition, I think you could grab
> the 98 boot sector and add it to BOOT.INI. Then when XP boots you would
> have a menu option to boot 98.

Hmm, that is an interesting piece of information. Boot-sector-related
information is still kind of "voodoo" to me, but I'll learn soon, I'm sure.

Jan:

> Yes, Windows-98 knows it can't handle that :)

(:(   :)

Okay, I think I can safely say that my question was answered. I'll try
using a FreeDOS bootdisk in a new attempt at this endeavor later, and post
back here the results.

Thanks for your help everybody!

If you care to see what I am doing mainly forum-wise, check me out at
VOGONS (for example, here is my topic regarding my first retro gaming
machine: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56714 ; when I have
this second one up and running 100%, I'll create another topic dedicated to
it).