>> Is MODE command remove loaded previously CPX file and
>> free allocated memory?
>
> I don't think it frees any memory. I think DISPLAY permanently loads
> enough for four (4) codepages, aka 64 kb. I don't know all the
> details, though.

The obvious answer is to read the DISPLAY docs ;-) Here is
a snippet from one version of DISPLAY readme.txt - but you
should read the one of YOUR version. MODE itself does NOT
even stay resident at all, unless you use exotic features
such as the "parallel port redirection" or timeout tweaks.

You should NOT load MODE into UMB, because it needs RAM for
buffers while unpacking CPX files and is not resident anyway.

> The commandline is of the form:
>
>    DISPLAY   devname[:]=(hwname,[hwcps],buffers)   [/C] [/V] [/NOHI]
>    DISPLAY   devname[:]=(hwname,[hwcps],(buffers,param))   [/C] [/V] [/NOHI]
>
> devname   Name of the device for which generic IOCTL is implemented
>           (DUMMY at the moment, usually CON)
>
> hwname    Name of the hardware adapter (CGA, EGA,...). See NewHW.txt for a
> list
>
> hwcps     List of hardware codepages. Either a single number (for a single
>           codepage) or a list   (n1,n2,...)  for several hardware codepages.
>           (For more than one codepage, you'll need third party drivers, such
>           as ARABIC.COM or HEBREW.COM)
>
> buffers   A single number representing the number of buffers that you want to
>           allocate, or a pair  (buffers,subfonts) with the number of buffers
>           and the number of subfonts wanted
>
> param     This optional parameter is passed to the hardware-specific routine.
>           See the hardware-specific routine documentation for more information

Note that you should load DISPLAY only once, which you can enforce
with the /C parameter, that /V makes things verbose and that UMB
usage and the /NOHI (XMS?) option might be relevant. You can not
change the number of buffers after loading, nor unload DISPLAY,
but as mentioned, your MODE commands can specify which codepages
are loaded into which of the buffers. Your DISPLAY could include
GRAFTABL functionality for CGA and can require that KEYB, if it
is loaded, accepts a codepage change before DISPLAY accepts it.
At the moment, you can only update device settings one at a time.

So that is what one of the fine manuals says ;-)

Eric