I haven't used Clipper so I'll have to let someone else debug that one for
you.

However, I *sometimes* have had problems running programs that require a
lot of I/O from the mapped drive. Not sure if QEMU just gets confused with
a lot of I/O on the mapped drive, because it's basically emulating a FAT
drive over a directory. Maybe that's the cause of the hang here?

You might try copying (with XCOPY) the program files from the mapped drive
to your C: drive, and run it from the C: drive. (Another way to do this is
to put everything into a zip file, then just use UNZIP to extract that zip
file onto your C: drive.)