Hi! If you ask me, you usually only want to install
sources for one package at a time, while reading
those particular sources, not for the whole system
at the same time. Some sources are rather large.

Regarding your aim, even really old computers are
usually strong enough for a simple Linux, which is
more effective for surfing the web or using office.

However, you can imagine that Netscape 4, running
on 16 MB RAM, will be almost as bad as Arachne for
surfing modern websites. But with a fraction of the
RAM of a modern smartphone you can already run some
far more modern Linux browsers than Netscape 4 :-)

For text based browsing, try LINKS, LYNX or W3M, and
make sure to use wired internet if you are using DOS.
If only wireless exists, you can use external devices
which bridge between wireless and a LAN connector.
I agree that many Linuxes probably dropped support
for older CPU than Pentium Pro / Pentium III in the
default install. I even feel increasing pressure to
install the 64 bit version of stuff, although, in
theory, it should not matter with 4 GB RAM or less.

Regards, Eric

PS: As said, you may also get very slow install when
the installer happens to run with a badly chosen or
detected set of drivers for stuff like internet, USB
or UMB / EMS, or bad config options for those.

PPS: Thanks for the clarification, Geraldo :-)