> On Sep 25, 2019, at 12:41 AM, dps <christopherbwilliams1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That most definitely provided some clarification! Thank you!
>   Just to clarify: when I install a program, say from fdimples, a text file I
> created and placed in the PACKAGES directory, and from there I am view it
> with my editor of choice?

Correct.

>   Can I move these programs around? Or would moving the executables without
> the rest of whatever is in the directory cause some dependency issues?

The list file is used by package managers to remove the installed files. If you
were to just move the program to a new directory, you would need to manually
uninstall it.

Also, there may be settings in an application’s configuration that are set to
use the installed location.

> Maybe I could circumvent this by finding the program that I want to execute,
> an creating the freeDOS equivalent of a bash script, or maybe a shortcut to
> my programs on the home directory?

It is possible to write a script or executable utility that can relocate a
package. It would need to update the list to the new location for the files.
Under some conditions, this is more or less one of things that the installer
for FreeDOS 1.2 does during installation.

Just adjusting the LST file won’t take care of any “hard coded” configuration
settings in any applications. However, generally speaking, it could move the
program and the user could make any additional configuration changes by hand.