> Freedos should be capable of supporting Windows 3.1, at least in
> standard mode.
AFAIK it does (not that it was ever important for the developers).

> Wouldn't it be great if freedos could support that better and 3.11 as well
> along with a lot of programs from that era?
just organize your millions of $, and we will organize the programmers
;)

>   Maybe source code won't help, but
> the interfaces and other engineering information could be quite useful for
> someone trying to support programs designed for Windows 16 bit.  That said,
> Win32 based programs are of interest to anyone who needs to run them in a
> dos based environment.
in theory, that's possible. there was a Win32S emulation layer for  win3.11.
in praxis, even more M$ required.
this simply no going to happen.

> There is a lot of industrial software that depends
> on a combination of MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 98 SE.
definitively no. Windows 98 SE never ran on top of MSDOS 6.22.

and even if it would: this software has run for 20+ years, and should
run many more years. on of the best properties of software is that it
doesn't rot.

>   There is also the potential that freedos can run this old
> software on newer hardware that isn't 20+ years old.  The biggest problem
> with 98se/ME is that there aren't drivers for hardware that is newer than
> the Pentium II pretty much.

I simply don't know if Win98 requires any drivers for the CPU.

but I do know that neither MSDOS 6.22 nor FreeDOS (or any other DOS)
have any drivers for any CPU.

so running FreeDOS on a I7-9060 doesn't help you a little bit with
Win98 and your funny machine.

> Getting an industrial PII on a single board for a PICMG 1.3 backplane or an
> ISA backplane, that is probably the best bet for the pick and place machine
> we want to get up and running.
yes indeed.

>   The machine is worth $20k-$30k.  Yes we
> could pull the two heads and try a set of heads based on Windows 7, but
> that is nearing EOL already.
don't put your Windows 7 on the internet, and it will live happily for
20 more years. your Win98 machines are EOLed for 15 years, and nobody
cared.

>  I'd say that my brother's
> machine is worth at least $15k right now.
As you say it, $15k sounds like much.
translate this to programmers hours and it goes away fairly quick.

Tom