On 26-01-20 17:27, Eric Auer wrote:

Hi Roderick,

I am the chairman of the Dutch OS/2 VOICE organisation. On OS/2 we had
the port of QT 4.78 for OS/2. A port of QT 5.13 took about 12 months by
on person working 40 hours a week. So a 32 bit platform is supported by QT.

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/qt5-os2

That is valuable information, thank you!

I also do not know if you would need a GCC compiler for DOS ?

There is DJGPP (by Delorie) which is GCC / G++ for DOS and comes
with a nice 32-bit DPMI oriented GNU C library. So ports of text
oriented tools such as dosfsck are smooth if one is a bit lucky.

Depending on how far OS/2 is from DOS in the areas needed by QT,
the next step of porting, from OS/2 to DOS, might be ... easier?

While a lot of of OS/2 API's look like DOS API names, that is whre the simularities end...

In terms of memory management its not like Windows 9x/ME. Its a true protected mode OS with its own network NDIS stack, graphical subsystem, multimedia sub system (MMOS/2).

Porting QT from DOS to OS/2 is not something that will help as DOS is lacking a lot of these features.

A company from the US (Arca Noae LLC) even has OS/2 running on metal with UEFI mode switched on the BIOS (product is called ArcaOS, based on OS/2 from IBM). OS/2 is by far not as depended on the BIOS as DOS is.

Roderick Klein