On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:23 PM tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> > On 16/02/2020 22:54, tom ehlert wrote:
> >> doing programming *on* DOS in 2020 is just stupid.
>
> > Why would that be more stupid than programming *for* DOS in 2020?
> > A hobby is a hobby.
>
> ok. replace 'stupid' by 'inefficient' in the sense that there are
> easier ways to get useful DOS programs then programming on DOS itself.
> this is called cross-development.

I know a few folks who are Old Skool, and deliberately programming
*on* old DOS PCs.  It's a question of "How much performance can I
manage to coax out of ancient hardware?"  Obviously, they are hacking
in Assembler and playing with undocumented DOS functions.

Speaking personally, were I to develop for DOS, I'd *do* development
on a Windows or Linux machine, simply because of the toolchains
available on those platforms.  VCS's are a cse in point. Most
development these days uses git as the VCS, but you will never see a
git client for DOS.  I'm not sure one is possible, and even it it is,
who would build one?  And since you can develop under Windows or Linux
and cross-compile to produce a DOS executable, why would you need one?
 You won't keep your repository on the DOS PC...

But yes, we all have hobbies, and there are folks who will accept the
trade offs and live with the limitations imposed by the hardware and
OS. More power to them, but that's not where I'd invest my time.

> Tom
______
Dennis