Hi,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:57 PM <userbeit...@abwesend.de> wrote:

> I also have DR DOS 5 laying around, an original version. I might play
> with that, but I was curious about FreeDOS, because it is somewhat more
> recent in some respects than old DOSes and old Linuxes. But I might be
> wrong...

I only have DR-DOS 7.03, but AFAIK, DR-DOS 5 was compatible to MS-DOS
3.3, DR 6 was their 5, and 7 was (of course) 6 compatible (though it
pretended to be PC-DOS, technically, unless you specifically asked
elsewhere).

So, yes, FreeDOS should be more compatible than DR-DOS 5 [sic].

Although you could probably still download (non-commercial only)
EDR-DOS (circa 2005) from the Wayback Machine. Not sure where
"official" DR-DOS disappeared to either. I guess they don't sell it
online (anymore??). 7.03 is from 1999 (and the one with TaskMgr,
limited to 64 MB per task, using its own proprietary EMM386 only with
mandatory built-in DPMI).

Yes, DJGPP is still updated (e.g. GCC 9.2, BinUtils 2.34, Make 4.3)
and thus newer than GCCs for "old Linuxes". Though you could probably
get some Linux guru to recompile newer for your old distro, if you
asked nicely. Not a lot of libraries for DOS anymore, but some stuff
still works.