Hi Ralf and Haytam,

> First of all, DOS (any DOS) does not have a concept of "drivers". Any
> such endeavor would be up to the application using a specific sound card
> (feature).

Indeed, but...

> And DOSBox is not simulating any sound card, it is passing this to the
> sound driver of the host OS. DOSBox does not have direct access to the
> sound hardware...

Virtual computers and dosemu / dosemu2 all do simulate a sound card
and I am pretty sure dosbox also simulates one. The problem is that
your games use the simulated sound card to make SOUNDS and the actual
sounds have to somehow reach your REAL hardware :-) Which is why the
host operating system needs drivers for your real hardware and your
dosbox has to be able to use the host operating system for that...

Eric