Hi Roger,

> I have install FreeDOS on VirtualBox to run an old application that
> uses Btrieve5 as the file handler. Sadly, when JEMMEX is loaded I get
> an Exception 06

Have you tried dosemu2 (if Linux) or dosbox (Windows or Linux)
instead? Which other memory drivers have you tried? You could
try with only some HIMEM variant, including XMGR? Or do you
actually need EMS or UMB for Btrieve? What is Btrieve?

According to https://sandpile.org/x86/except.htm exception 06
would be "undefined opcode" which could be virtualbox failing
to simulate some exotic CPU feature but more likely means your
program execution accidentally jumped into some sort of void?

It could also be LOCK for opcodes which do not support LOCK, I
think sometimes the BIOS has handlers to auto-ignore those.

Regards, Eric