The retrocomputing crowd has a lot of these projects now, and they
generally work.  Most are based on open source designs so the quality will
vary from vendor to vendor.

The 8 bit IDE cards for example are based on a project called XT-IDE that I
was part of back in 2008/2009. (See the genesis of the project at
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?12359-8-Bit-IDE-Controller .  The
original version of the card had the traces optimized on my work laptop
while it was idling.)

If I were buying an XT-IDE I would be getting it from
https://www.glitchwrks.com/xt-ide.  I haven't purchased any of the recent
variants; all mine are gen 1 from the first production run.  And I've not
tried out memory boards but they are generally known to work; they are not
particularly complicated.

Mike