Followup to my post this morning about swapping out the Sony CD drive for
an AOpen DVD drive. The new/old (circa 1998) AOpen 1648 came in its
original box with paperwork. No mention of installing a driver anywhere in
the manual, which explains why I couldn't find a driver for it online. It
obviously just uses a standard Microsoft CDROM.SYS driver. In fact, it
worked fine with Windows 2000, no complaints or messages.

So then I rebooted to FreeDos, which still had the Sony driver I found that
worked with it. No messages or complaints there either. The DVD drive works
fine under FreeDos using the old Sony driver.

Being a glutton for punishment, I had to switch back to the UDVD2.SYS
driver that came with FreeDos 1.3 install ISO and see what happened. Well,
just like the Sony CD drive, this AOpen DVD drive is recognized and a drive
letter is assigned, but it doesn't work - sort of hangs.

In any case, all is good. Now I have a working DVD drive under both Windows
2000 and FreeDos.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 10:46 AM tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> > Remember that it was normal that CDROM drives shipped with
> > DOS drivers in the past.
>
> this is true. and each manufacturer took care to only support
> it's own drives. until later someone showed that IDE-CDROM drivers are
> inherently universal.
>
> UDVD and vide-cdd.sys https://www.hiren.info/downloads/dos-files
>
> https://www.uwe-sieber.de/util.html has 3 more
>
> > It is a challenge for UDVD2 to be
> > universal, but it will still find most CD/DVD drives :-)
>
> nope. that's simply not true, and I'm really surprised that UDVD2
> doesn't work where another driver does.
>
> DVD drivers are inherently universal, unless a manufacturer puts
>
> if (manufacturer != "SONY")
>    exit();
>
> style code into it's driver
>
> Tom

It's all fun and games until someone divides by zero.