On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 08:26:46PM +0100, Eric Auer wrote:

> > "FreeDOS installation has to fit standard 650 MB CD"
>
> Even then I disagree. While you could fill entire DVD with
> stuff for DOS, a FreeDOS CD could be a lot smaller

That's why I meant 650 MB CD, not 4 GB DVD.

> Just the 3 most common programming languages and RHIDE would
> already be 72 MB (34 GCC, 15 G++, 6 RHIDE, 6 GAS, 4 GDB etc.).

Maybe, but 90% of FreeDOS users don't need programming languages - and
especially that "fat ones". Maybe GW BASIC etc. for "sentimental reasons".

> Add EMACS with everything: 54 MB. Objective C: 22 MB.
> GRX: 2 MB Allegro: Up to 19 MB Extra doc formats: 20 MB
> Now you already are at 200 MB...

Why are you willing to add on installation CD exactly these most
space-demanding applications? How many FreeDOS users need exactly Emacs
or Objective C?

> Add the source code for everything: Voila, 423 MB purely
> for DJGPP just some of their 3 GB kitchen sink of data:

90% (or more) of FreeDOS users don't need that source code. It should be
placed on additional "source code CD", or available just for download
--
regards,
Zbigniew