Thanks, Eric:

So the question would be: Which FreeCOM version do you use
and what do you do to trigger the error?

I had done lots of copy and paste, moving OPENGEM from a USB stick to C:.

Do you have unusually
long directory names or paths involved?

I rebooted....

You can use VER /R to display the version of FreeCOM and
FreeDOS kernel at the same time in a compact 3 line style.

FreeCom version 0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap [Aug 28 2006 00:29:00]
DOS version 7.10
FreeDOS kernel 2042 (build 2042 OEM:0xfd) [compiled May 11 2016]

Based on additional details in your report, somebody else
can make a reconfigured FreeCOM with larger buffer for you.

I think that this is not critically important, just noted in passing.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/