On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 09:39:53 +0100, Eric Auer wrote:
> You can press F5 or F8 while DOS boots to skip
> all or some of the DOS drivers,

I tried that.

The line that triggered the error was (I believe) calling
"himem.sys". I could not find a himem.sys on the disk.

> Regarding your partitioning problem: Use FDISK in
> manual mode at the DOS prompt to make a bootable
> FAT32 partition.

Yes, I did that. As I said, it seemed to work but the other commands
did not recognise the disk (ie partition).

just "c:" produced some error about invalid drive, ditto "format c:"

> If it is okay to kick out Windows,

no!

> It is possible that
> your Windows is on a GPT partition. DOS itself and
> FDISK for DOS do not support GPT, but GPT-partitioned
> disks may still contain a simple MBR guard partition
> to discourage MBR based tools from messing with it.

Hahaha, ok.

/Tomas