Hi all!

Looking at the links provided by TK Chia and in Jim's blog,
Stallman has (and caused) a real problem, so I agree that
he should not be in that new powerful position he now got.

And I do not think that this is cancel culture censoring
unpopular thoughts. He can share his thoughts as much as
he wants *without* being a sexist FSF leader. Sure, none
of his controversial comments were illegal. But reading
the various comments, it was really painful for women to
have him as superior, which makes him unfit for the job
if FSF is as noble as they want to be. Maybe being rude
was good for the fight against MS, but that is unrelated.
He can work for FSF as expert without being board member.

As mentioned, see for example

https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-March/235161.html

https://selamjie.medium.com/remove-richard-stallman-appendix-a-a7e41e784f88

https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~lazowska/mit/

etc.

Now about Michael's off-topic relative to this thread:

Also, why does everybody want a free Windows? You can use
free alternatives such as Linux, optionally with Wine if
you need to keep some Windows compatibility. Or even work
on making ReactOS more useful. None of those involves any
strange arguments about why stealing Windows would be OK.

Why would we want a FreeDOS variant which drops support
for BIOS disks? Floppy, IDE, SATA, USB and other stuff
you mention? If you have no BIOS, install an UEFI CSM
as part of your boot chain to replace it. If you neither
have a CSM nor want to help with creating one, run DOS
in a generic PC emulator of your choice or in DOSEMU2.

Same for possible lack of VGA compatibility in new graphics
cards and their BIOS. People have written TSR to resolve
some of the BIOS issues for DOS, like missing 8x14 fonts.

Also, it is still reasonably easy to get hardware for your
FreeDOS install with a totally normal BIOS, so why would
you want to make a statement by dropping support for it??

What is the problem with GRUB 1 or 2? And what is your EFI
problem? Linux needs almost no help from firmware and is
able to boot from either BIOS or EFI based computers now.

You can use secure boot with Linux, too, as distros make
signed kernels, or you disable it in your BIOS settings
if you want full freedom to boot anything of your choice.
I guess only Blue Ray media players will hate you for it.

There are so many possibilities. Nothing wrong with running
DOS in a virtual PC on your ARM smartphone. Well, I hope you
have an app to connect a real keyboard. But I really see no
reason why you could want a DOS for ARM first, for example.

> ReactOS by the way in VirtualBox on CentOS 8 is stable enough that
> you can play Warcraft II Battle.Net edition all the way through

 :-)

Regards, Eric