Hey!

> I want to boot to freeDOS using a CD ROM.  Then I want to insert a
> memory stick into the computer and copy a file from the Windows HDD onto
> the memory stick.  Is this possible and if so which version of freeDOS
> do I use?

If you ask me: Do not use DOS for that. Your Windows is probably
installed on NTFS and DOS is too old to understand NTFS data.

Simply boot Linux from a CD or USB stick to copy your file. You
could even take the harddisk out of the computer and plug it into
another computer. Make sure to NOT make it the boot disk, of course.

Or put it into an USB housing and connect it to another Windows
or Linux computer so you can access the data via USB, easily.

In both cases: Make sure to fully shutdown your Windows computer
first! If Windows is only in hibernate, standby or sleep mode, it
can have opened files which can get messed up when you interrupt
the sleep to do other stuff with the partition.

Regards, Eric