In light of the "DOS was dead" discussion, I wanted to ask a question.
I was *born* after support was dropped for MS-DOS, so I can't claim
nostalgia as my reason for use. Recently I installed FreeDOS on my
modern HP-Pavilion laptop, alongside BSD, Linux, and plan9. I did this
because I like DOS's speed and assembly programming.
It worked fine after I fixed the beep bug with your help.
So my question is, why do YOU use FreeDOS?
Is it primarily nostalgia? Legacy program support? Speed?
Note that I don't consider running legacy software a bad reason. I was
shocked by how much good software has been "thrown away" because of
its age. On Linux all my favorite software (vi, siag office, twm,
motif &c.) was written before I was born. However, that is not my
primary reason for using FreeDOS. my primary reason is because it is
like the motorcycle of operating systems. It is lightweight, has no
red tape to cut through to do things, and is monotasking. (Monotasking
is also why I don't use it as much as I would like to, but why I use
it at all.)
I figured that if I had a different reason than what everybody
assumes, that some of you might as well. Everyone seems to assume that
DOS is used by people who are unable to cope with progress and have to
run their ancient version of word perfect. If that is your reason, it
is not a bad reason. I was thinking of eventually writing a 64-bit dos
work [sort of] alike eventually, but it would not be able to support
legacy programs due to segment offset addressing and a million other
things.