Hi Felix,

> The primary reason is that I want to keep Windows on my hard
> drive and I don't feel confident about using a boot manager.

Disclaimer: The following only works if your Windows C: drive
is NTFS! It does not work with ancient Windows on FAT C: drive.

You could try the following: Use Windows itself to resize
the NTFS Windows partition and add a FAT16 or FAT32 one
for DOS, which you format also using Windows. Note that
the FAT partition should be a primary one if you want it
to be bootable.

You can now boot a DOS installer and verify that it only
sees the empty FAT partition, but not the Windows drives.

Make sure that the installer does NOT change partitioning
or MBR boot settings. You can also skip formatting steps.

Once you have installed DOS in that way, you can either
use a boot manager on USB, floppy, CD, DVD or similar to
start the installed DOS, or you can use a simple DOS boot
disk (for example USB stick again) and enjoy having all
the apps and space on your DOS C: drive, which you will
also be able to access from Windows. Note that it will
be called another letter, not C:, when you access your
DOS drive from Windows.

This avoids possible speed and stability issues which
you would get by working only with USB. It also avoids
having to push a boot manager before Windows, risking
that Windows would not start properly.

Of course the "recipe" above only works for the newer
Windows versions: Those use NTFS for themselves, which
is conveniently invisible to DOS, so it will not mess
with your Windows files. And they already include the
tools to resize and add partitions, so you can insert
a FAT partition with less risk of damaging your Windows.

As Linux user, I would probably use a bootable CD, DVD
or USB distro and the graphical gparted tool to resize
my existing partitions and add new ones. Not sure whether
that can be done in a screen reader friendly way, but of
course I do not know whether the tools included with the
newer Windows versions are screen reader friendly either.

>> that is what your ASAP app does.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what it's for. It's the Automatic Screen Access
> Program, a sophisticated tsr for blind users that actually lets me
> navigate graphics memory like a text file, and that also intercepts
> console output in many cases. It's a masterpiece of assembly language

Cool, thanks for the explanation!

Best, Eric