On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 10:17, Bryan Kilgallin <kilgal...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I wish to print from a FreeDOS PC. That connects via Samba to an Ubuntu
> server. That speaks via Ethernet to a Brother GDI printer. František has
> been advising me on this project.
>
> On the FreeDOS PC:
>         * LMHOSTS lists the printer against its IP address; and
>         * LOGON.BAT lists the server and print queue, and
>           specifies "net use LPT2:, with the server, print queue,
>           and password.

That looks good! Great progress from when you first asked.

> But I cannot get PRINT to work!

OK, question 1: why do you need the PRINT command? It's a background
spooler. It is not in any way needed for DOS printing.

> {PRINT README.TXT}

Did you not specify to print to LPT2:?

> Next I read
> "Device to direct Print [PRN=0]".

So it's not going to LPT2: – it's going to PRN:

[1] You don't need PRINT. To test if printing works, just do

copy readme.txt lpt2:

[2] If you *do* want background printing, you need to tell PRINT where
to send the data:

PRINT /D:LPT2: readme.txt

https://web.csulb.edu/~murdock/print.html

If you want to set the default DOS printer, you can use the MODE command. E.g.

mode lpt2:

https://my.okidata.com/MAN-380.NSF/WebBPXContents/7B4C04EE632B2D93852562190053A902?OpenDocument

But note that most DOS 3rd party apps will probably ignore this
setting. DOS only has very basic plain-text printing support, with no
device drivers, so almost all DOS apps implemented their own printer
support with device drivers to enable different font sizes, *bold* and
_underline_ and /italics/ and so on.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lpro...@gmail.com