https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=234228

is a nice summary of the (current) state of affairs with the pi.

It seems things have changed since it's first introduction.  I seem to recall they initially even had a bill of materials listed on their site.  so you could build your own pi boards.  I didn't expect the boot loader to be opensource, (few companies offer that), though to be fair, Parallax does with their propeller boards, but those can't run dos, though they have versions of CP/M that will run on them.  I have seen posts from the raspberry foundation talking about some of the projects folks have built using the pi, and they even mention such projects in their newsletters from time to time, so I doubt they're completely against folks rolling their own hardware.  When I got my first pi (the pi1), I'm almost positive there was a BOM for download on the site, but I've not looked for it since, having no interest in making my own.

On the other hand, building boards with pi inspired hardware has been done many times.

The schematics and the board layout are readily available, so anyone can build a pi themselves as long as they use the commercially available parts, but honestly, if you're just looking to incorporate the pi into an existing project, there's nothing preventing you from doing that as far as I can tell.

Perhaps I was off the mark a bit in stating the entire system is opensource, but it certainly does use opensource software, and finding projects where folks used the pi as bare metal isn't difficult either, so it depends on how much control you want over the final hardware selection as to whether it will suit your purposes or not.

I apologize for the blanket statement of opensource about the pi, apparently, that isn't true, but there's enough opensource components that it's really not a problem in most cases to adapt it to your own purposes.

I have seen projects where folks built their own boards including pi components, but perhaps they didn't build a full blown pi, I didn't check.

There's thousands and thousands of projects out there, with some judicial searching, you're likely to find something close to just about anything you want to build using a pi.

Unfortunately though, dos won't run on it, so I guess it won't help in this case.