On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 at 20:02, Bret Johnson <bretj...@juno.com> wrote:

> Actually, no it's not.  It's fairly easy with System Commander.  And AFAIK,
> System Commander is the only multi-boot manager that works this way
> (manipulating the boot files instead of manipulating disks or partitions).
> Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages.

That's not the point here.

Can you roll back changes? Can you make a snapshop of one system and
then revert to it? Can you duplicate a system and send it to someone?
Can you keep backups of just one system? Can you store backups on a
server or a removable drive?

All those are trivially easy with VMs.

> As are QEMU

Can with hardware assist run native code, but that is harder. Works
with KVM on Linux to do it, but also harder.

>  BOCHS

Not the same thing. This is an emulator.

> PCem

Also an emulator, not a VM. Also no longer maintained.

DOSbox is also an emulator.

These are not the same sort of tool as the 2 I mentioned, which I
picked for good reasons. They are true hypervisors, they run real
unmodified OSes at full native speed, and they do not not require any
particular host OS.

>  All the VM's have advantages and disadvantages in various respects.

3 of the things you mentioned are not VMs. This makes me suspect that
perhaps you are not as familiar with this tech as you think you are,
and I urge you to at least evaluate it.

> In addition to the VMs mentioned above, I also have others including VMWare
> and DOSBox and do tests with all of them.

DOSbox is not a VM.

>  VMWare and DOSBox are somewhat unique in that they can mount physical hard
> drives instead of just virtual hard drives.

As can VirtualBox.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk

> There are lots of different ways to "skin the cat" and there is not one
> "correct" way.  There are tradeoffs and problems with every approach.  But,
> for what I'm trying to accomplish, I think my setup is better (at least
> easier to track and maintain) than what you're recommending.

I am not saying there isn't. I am saying that there are easier ways
than a tool you happen to know well and be familiar with. I am not
telling you you're wrong or anything, just suggesting something to
make life easier.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com