>KVM/qemu as presented by virt-manager/virsh does something funny with the
>config of the VM.  After initial boot it’ll “forget” about the CDROM.

I think what's happening is that it detaches the disk image if the virtual CD
drive receives an eject command. On real hardware, if the software opens the CD
tray but you still want the install media for the next boot, you just push the
tray back in instead of removing the disk. On virtual hardware, if "eject" is
interpreted as "detach", the ejection becomes a bit more of a hassle.