Hi Pierre, Jim and everybody,

On my FreeDOS PC, I tried to use PKUNZIP to unpack the floppy boot ZIP to a 1.44 floppy. That's when PKUNZIP told me that the destination had insufficient space.

That is not surprising. You must use a tool which can write disk IMAGES to the floppy. Just copying FILES to it will not make it bootable.

One such tool is our DISKCOPY, if you want to do it in DOS. For that,
you unzip the IMG file, then simply say DISKCOPY your.img A: to copy
the your.img diskimage to the floppy in A: - of course you have to
replace your.img by the name of the file you want to copy.

You can download diskcopy 0.95 by downloading the cryptically named
"dskcp095.zip" file from

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/diskcopy/0.9/

and I really think the FD13-FloppyEdition.zip should contain
a copy of DISKCOPY, a README with instructions for DOS, Linux,
Apple and Windows and, Jim, please add a link to DISKCOPY to

http://freedos.org/download/

because it really needs a lot of insider knowledge at the moment
to upgrade from another DOS to FreeDOS if our diskcopy tool is
so many clicks away from the diskimage download page. Thank you!

Regards, Eric

PS: Alternatively, you could use the tools here:

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/tools/

PPS: The readme linked from the download page does not mention
diskcopy, so I assume none of our distro downloads contains a
copy of diskcopy in well-visible and advertised place yet?

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.3/official/readme.txt