> I haven't been able to change the drive letter for the CD drive, no
> matter how hard I try, it always defaults to the letter H:

Do you have a LASTDRIVE= line in your CONFIG.SYS (or FDCONFIG.SYS) file?  If
so, what is it?

> It was a little hard for me to unravel cdrom.bat to make sense of
> how it works but I managed to reduce the important part to this:
>
> DEVLOAD /H UDVD2.SYS /D:FDCDX001
> SHSUCDX /~ /D:FDCDX001,D

According to the documentation for SHSUCDX (typing "SHSUCDX /? at the
command-line), where the drive letter is assigned is with the ",D" at the end
of the SHSUCDX line.  This tells SHSUCDX to start by trying to use D: as the
letter for the CD.  If D: isn't available, it will try the next available
letter (E:) and keep going until it finds an available letter.  Apparently on
your system the letters D:-G: are already assigned to something (like maybe
some USB drives or some extra partitions on the hard drive(s)?).

You can try seeing if anything exists on the D:-G: drives (e.g., by doing a
"DIR D:") and see if you can figure out what's going on.