For what it's worth, I have a counter-example to Jim's belief: I receive a
monthly reminder for the Linux User Group mailing lists to which I subscribe.
That said, I don't mind either way whether the monthly reminders for Freedos
continue.IanIan ParkEmail: i.d.c.park@chalmers-park.nameMobile: +44 (0) 7785
300290Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> Date:
22/08/2022  21:40  (GMT+00:00) To: "Discussion and general questions about
FreeDOS." <freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> Subject: Re: [Freedos-user]
Retire from sending monthly reminder message I'm actually wondering if we need
the automatic monthly list remindersanymore. I was thinking about it today, and
John started doing thisfor us when the FreeDOS email lists were on a different
email service(the old fd-dev list, I think) and our web hosting was very
different(HTML documents only, no automation). So John's automated
reminderswere an excellent solution, and I'm really glad he did that for
us.However, things are different now. For one, we have fewer peoplejoining the
list, so the same people are seeing the same listreminder, month after month.
Maybe a monthly reminder is too frequent.But I think we're pretty unique these
days in having a monthlyreminder; I don't think other email lists or forums or
discussionboards for other open source projects have a monthly reminder.Also,
our current FreeDOS email lists are hosted on Sourceforge now,and the
Sourceforge list service lets the list administrator add acustom "welcome"
message to anyone who joins the email list. I cancopy the text of our list
rules into that welcome message, so thatanyone who joins the email lists will
get a copy of the list rules.That seems a good thing to do, regardless.I can
also add the full text of the list rules to our "Forums" page onthe website. We
currently link to the list rules, but the rules can bemade more obvious by
including the full text right next to where you'dsubscribe to the list. That
seems an obvious place to put it. (I'mworking on the website redesign anyway -
albeit slowly - and I canmake this part of the update.)With these changes, do
we need a monthly list reminder
anymore?Jim_______________________________________________Freedos-user mailing