On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 at 09:23, tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> we have DeskView386 which does exactly what you describe.

Do you mean DESQview?

It exists but with multiple drawbacks.

• DESQview 386 means DESQview + QEMM386. Two separate products.

• I have both. I have been unable to get QEMM to run on bare metal on
any machine as new or newer than a Core 2 Duo.

• Neither DESQview nor QEMM are FOSS or even freeware. Symantec says
it lost the source.

DR DOS does have some source code available, and includes TaskMaster,
which can do full-screen multitasking of DOS sessions. This *does*
work on bare modern hardware in my testing.

Lineo/DeviceLogics president and CEO Bryan Sparks said all CP/M
derivatives are free to use, modify and distribute last year. DR DOS
is a derivative of CP/M-86 which is a derivative of CP/M. I think it
could be used.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/04/the_many_derivatives_of_cpm/

However saying that, are there any new DOS device drivers in the 21st
century? Will there be?

It seems to me that if the sources of Multiuser DOS could be obtained,
and if it's covered by Mr Sparks' edict, then it would give a lot of
what people want from a DOS nowadays.

Multiuser DOS was the last and final descendant of CP/M. It's a native
32-bit OS, multitasking but DOS compatible, with FAT32 support. It
supports up to 4GB of RAM and apps can get both EMS and XMS services.
It has modest hardware support: CD, DVD, sound, mouse, a few other
things. It supports a few network cards, and can talk TCP/IP and SMB.

It's not a true DOS, it can't run DOS device drivers, and has
functionality that's irrelevant today, such as serial terminal
support. But if someone could chase down a final version of the
source, it could have some obsolete stuff stripped out (NetBIOS and
IPX/SPX support, RS/232 terminals, etc.) and could be useful to
someone somewhere.

I tried to contact 3 or 4 vendors of Multiuser DOS mentioned in my
article. Most didn't reply.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com