> On Jul 16, 2023, at 10:21 AM, Jay F. Shachter via Freedos-user
> <freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> [..]
> If the answer to the first question is Yes, then I can continue this
> narrative, otherwise the remainder of this posting is moot.  I copied
> FD13FULL.img to a USB stick, stuck it into the above-described
> computer, and instructed it to boot from the USB device.  The
> installation procedure scares me.  I have already partitioned my disk
> and designated in my mind the logical slice onto which I want to
> install FreeDOS, but the installation procedure on FD13FULL.img
> implies that I must repartition my disk, and I am afraid to proceed,
> lest I irretrievably trash my entire computer.

First... Never install an OS or update an OS on a machine you are not
willing to rebuild from scratch! I doesn’t matter how careful you are.
I does not matter how new or great the OS and installer is. Things can
go wrong with the best of them and leave your machine broken or
not even bootable from the internal drives. Backup!

When you boot the from the FreeDOS USB stick, that drive should be
seen by the OS as drive C:. The installer then queries FDISK to see
if a drive D: is present and readable by FreeDOS. If so, it will use that
drive as a target for installation. If not, it will prompt to partition the
drive.
If the installer is prompting to partition using FDISK, it cannot find a
hard drive (other than the USB stick) that is suitable to install FreeDOS.

There is an advanced mode for the installer. However, that gets only
limited testing. Therefore, I recommend you install FreeDOS in a
virtual machine or manually.

> [..]
> then populating the
> newly-created vfat filesystem by means of the cp and unzip commands
> (the packages, I noticed -- and there is a huge number of them -- are
> zip files, but there are also some files that are fundamental to
> system that are already present without having to be unzipped, which I
> envision simply copying over).

That is not really going to work very well. The zip archives are packages.
The contain various directory aliases that get remapped during package
installation. While many could just be unzipped and used, others will be
in directories different from how they are configured and will not function
properly.

You have multiple options on how you can proceed.

1) You could run the installer in advanced mode. Based on how your
machine is setup, this WILL most likely hose your system anyway.

2) You could install FreeDOS to a virtual machine like VirtualBox or
QEMU.

3) You could do a hybrid install into DOSBox. The installer defaults to
hybrid on that virtual platform. There are DOCs and Youtube videos
on how to do type of install. The benefit is having direct and easy
access to the DOS filesystem from the host. There are some drawbacks.
It is best suited for developers.

4) Install manually. After setting up a partition and it’s boot sector, I would
proceed one of two ways. I would either install FreeDOS into a VM’s
hard drive using a flat disk image, then copy the files to the hard disk
partition. Or…. copy over the kernel and command. Then unzip the
FDNPKG and FDIMPLES packages. If you place their files in the proper
directories, adjust the FDNPKG.CFG file and configure a few environment
variables, you could then use them to install all the other packages.

Jerome