This is probably more of a hardware question than a FreeDOS question. However, I think the people on this list are likely to have some experience with this kind of problem.

The upcoming change to Wayland in the Fedora world is going to force me to change out my PS/2 KVM switch for one that supports HDMI. There are KVM switches which can accept either HDMI/USB or VGA/PS2, but they are VERY expensive, like well over $1k. A KVM that is HDMI/USB only is under $200.

The only machine I have that cannot be easily converted to HDMI/USB is my FreeDOS system. I found what I think might be a way to make it work, and I am interested in any experience you might have with this.

Display: I currently have an old Permedia Labs VGA card (PCI bus) in the system. I tried a $10 VGA-to-HDMI adapter, but found it works ONLY for 1920x1080 resolution. It will not take 640x480.

The mainboard supports AGP display adapters. I can get an AGP display adapter with a DVI-D output for reasonably cheap at eBay. DVI-D to HDMI is an easy conversion.

Question - Will that work with the resolution modes that FreeDOS supports?

Keyboard and mouse: I found a project which uses a Raspberry Pi Pico to convert USB keyboard and mouse to PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

https://github.com/No0ne/ps2x2pico

I already have a Pico and some suitable PS/2 cables. The logic level converter is $5 at Sparkfun. It is cheap, so I will give it a try.

Question - Has anyone else tried something like this? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!