Hi Felix -

But that is, in fact, what happens with the adapter I have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GZ159FJ

I plugged it into an HDMI monitor and the VGA output of my FreeDOS machine. When I booted the computer, the monitor said "No signal". I tried a few different ways to power it, just in case, but nothing. Then I plugged it into one of my Linux machines that was running at 1080p, and the monitor came right up.

The HDMI monitor I was using also has a VGA input. I switched the FreeDOS machine to that port and it came right up.

Bill Gee