Hi Andrew,

these are all nice anecdotes!

I would want to focus more on the topic of the tool itself, i.e. the computer
as a writing aid, or writing machine. Historically the computer has nothing got
to do with writing texts, and in some way I do see this still today. Hardware
and software are subject to a industrial model suited for office work: sheets
and calculation. Jef Raskin’s »Canon Cat« was a clever try, but not a sales
success. He lost it against Steve Jobs computer »for everything and everyone«.

(I am sure, someone hooked a coffe machine up to his MS-Word …? creating a

I don’t like the way the standard keyboards are made (neither ergonomically nor
logically) and how the mouse works (clicking with your right hand?? and getting
RSI from clicking?!) and a couple of metaphores we take for granted
(Num-Block?? Have problems to print out your Markdown file?? etc etc…)

To say the truth as I see it: We are trapped in a »locked-in« system, like the
standard keyboard. Maybe it softly is beginning to change (think about »split
pointing devices or just a »touch screen« - never solved problem for usage in
writing, b.t.w.)

The way a writer creates her texts might partially be a secret even to the
person herself but when it comes to the actual act: You have to ask yourself:
what are your tools?

Honestly, the mechanical typwriter is not the solution. I am occasionally using
a typwriter (Olympia Monica) and then I OCR my pages after writing to do some
more editing on a Mac (BBedit). Why a typewriter? Because where I write, I
don’t have electricity (!).

Yes anyways we should start thinking how mouch energy goes into **unnecessary**
computing (!!). Use energy savers on the computer!  Don’t use ChatGPT!

> The estimated energy consumption of a Google search query is 0.0003 kWh (1.08
> kJ). The estimated energy consumption of a ChatGPT-4 query is 0.001-0.01 kWh
> (3.6-36 kJ), depending on the model size and number of tokens processed.
[...]
> That means a single GPT query consumes 1,567%, or 15 times more energy than a
> Google search query. To put it in context, a 60W incandescent light bulb
> consumes 0.06kWh in an hour.
[...]
> Using AI requires not just electricity but water as well.
(1)

So when you finally *do* write (I call this first stage »drafting« to
differentiate the stages in the work process), you can »draft« your text on
*any* device.

As Jim Hall rightly puts it: »constantly spinning your wheels«, is NOT writing.

Yes, Andrew, you are right: Writing means RE-Writing, or - as I call it
»editing«.

In this "revision stage" the actual deficiencies of our
calculating-machines-as-writing-machines start to appear. There is a ton of
things which are objectively ridiculous in today’s setups.

My latest experience was the idea to write on an iPad Pro using the Apple
onscreen keyboard. It sort-of works actually quite well, despite the fact that
you have to access a second layer for interpunctions. Absurd! - A »VIM - App«
for iPad allows for extra buttons to insert interpunctions. Nice. But wait: VIM
on an iPad? How absurd is that idea?! And… There is another problem: Every
first letter of a new sentence appears with a lower case letter.

And the hurdles just start to multiply. Every used a text editor on an iPad?
Did someone say »distraction free« ?? And so on and so on…

Experiences like the one I had unveil that nowbody actually seems to have
thought to create a really proper working system, nor an industrial devide for
writing for ordinary people, rather following down the industrial standard a
»all purpose machine« and gadgets like iPads as entertainment devices.

I was surprised when I learned of FreeDOS that the main use of it seems that
people can play old computer games… Really?

The road map of FreeDOS seems to me include compatibility with advancing
storage devices. And USB devices such as printers. Maybe networking.
That is cool. Even the tiniest CLI Linux cannot compete with the simplicity of
DOS. (HAIKU OS or MENUET OS someone? Forget it!) And no nagging »update me« and
spying and cookies and so on.

I am much interested in seeing more integrated and single use devices for
this direction, but not made for the revisioning and editing stage. Useless for
me. Who would really need a crippled computer which still is a fragile
electronic device, only to carry it to your corner shop for writing and sipping
a »latte«?

Also the »input methods« are of great interest to me. The motto for me is: Take
back control over the machine! - keep writing, folks!

(That is, by the way, why I like FreeDos.)

Thomas

Source:
(1)
https://lifestyle.livemint.com/news/big-story/ai-carbon-footprint-openai-chatgpt-water-google-microsoft-111697802189371.html#:~:text=The%20estimated%20energy%20consumption%20of%20a%20ChatGPT%2D4%20query%20is,and%20number%20of%20tokens%20processed.