I tested a generic/brandless/labelless/white label 5 pack of CF PCMCIA
adapters on an old Epson 286 laptop & Librex 386 laptop.  They worked as
generic IDE drives and I was able to format an old 8MB CF card as FAT16
with DOS.

They looked like the ones here -
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=PCMCIA+Compact+Flash+CF+Card+Reader+Adapter+for+Laptop

They could be slightly cheap on aliexpress if you have patience for
delivery -
https://www.aliexpress.us/w/wholesale-PCMCIA-Compact-Flash-CF-Card-Reader-Adapter-.html