On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 3:34 AM h...@iafrica.com <h...@iafrica.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim
> Thank you. I have few questions. What is the maximum size allowed for
> the FreeDos image file? Can I resize my image file, currently 200Mb? Can
> I create an additional virtual drive "D:" and mount it in the same way?

I wouldn't approach this as "what's the biggest disk I can use" but
"how much disk do I need?"

DOS is pretty small. It's really only the things you add on to it
(applications and data) that takes up large amounts of space. My C:
drive is 500MB, and that's pretty big. My D: drive (where I store all
my data and source files) is 220MB. I have mine set up that way
because I start over with a new C: drive every time we have a new
monthly test release, but all my stuff stays safe on the D: drive.
(When I install the new test release, I don't boot QEMU with the D:
drive image.)

My D: used to be 100MB, but then I added a lot of games and stuff to
it. There wasn't any point in going through gymnastics to resize D:
dynamically .. I just made a new 220MB D: drive, partitioned &
formatted it, mounted both under Linux (guestfsfools) then copied
everything over. That takes very little time to do, but trying to find
a way to resize the D: disk image and extending the filesystem on it
to fill the new size would have taken more steps - and I'm a lazy guy,
so I took the easy route. Making a new drive image, partitioning &
formatting it, and copying files took a few minutes.

> Re. Use of "sudo" When I tried to run QEMU with with the "-enable-kvm"
> option, I received an error message of permission denied. I have since
> tried without "sudo" and it now works? My Linux installation (Lubuntu
> 18.04) has also sustained damage since playing with QEMU. I receive an
> error message window on the desktop after boot-up which simply says "
> System Error" and provides two buttons of "Report" and "Cancel". No
> other info. I'm guessing there is a log entry hiding somewhere?

I don't know how or why QEMU would have caused any damage to the Linux
operating system, even when running it as root (sudo). QEMU is
providing a virtual machine environment to the guest operating system
.. and that shouldn't cause a problem in the host operating system.
Since the error comes up "on the desktop" (when you login) I suspect
the "system error" you're seeing is an unrelated user profile issue.
Unfortunately, I don't run Lubuntu (I run Fedora) so I'm not confident
I can help you track down the error. My first suggestion would be to
create a "dummy" account on Lubuntu and login to that. If you don't
see the error when you login there, then the "system error" is
something going on with your account .. probably a user profile issue
in LXDE (Wikipedia says Lubuntu 18.04 LTS uses LXDE).

For what it's worth: Lubuntu 18.04 LTS is quite old. I understand the
release "number" is actually a date, so 18.04 was released in April
2018. Wikipedia says this was supported for 3 years, and support ended
in late April 2021. The current Lubuntu is 23.10 (released October
2023) and the next release is supposed to be 24.04 LTS (planned for
late April 2024). If there's a config issue on your Lubuntu, you might
consider updating to 23.10 or 24.04 LTS, which will give you a fresh
start anyway - and get you up to date.