That did it! "ã" and other tilde-accentuated characters are displaying
perfectly now. Thanks!

Although I cannot say I understand the fix, it did work and now all
tilde-accentuated characters work fine everywhere in FreeDOS.

I had to change "fdos" to "freedos" since that is how the directory is
actually called on this version.  I added the fix to FDAUTO.BAT, which I
assume is FreeDOS version of AUTOEXEC.BAT.

LH DISPLAY CON=(EGA,,1)
> MODE CON CP PREP=((858) C:\FREEDOS\cpi\EGA.CPX)
> MODE CON CP SEL=858

Is that an okay place to put those settings?

Thanks!